The MPSC Manipur (Manipur Public Service Commission) is the Constitutional body that endorses candidates for recruitment to various posts of the Government of Manipur for Gazetted posts. It also gives concurrence on the Departmental Promotion Committee’s recommendation for appointment to various posts and framing/amendment of Recruitment Rules. It also advises the Government Departments on service matters, including disciplinary cases.
MPSC Manipur was established on 23 Oct 1972 under Article 315 of India’s Constitution at a glittering function at the Gandhi Memorial Hall, Imphal. At the time of the inauguration Shri. G.B.K. Hooja, MA, I.A.S. was the Chairman of the Commission. The premiere members were Shri Laishram Gopal Singh BA(Hon.), I.P.S. and Shri Sibo Larho BA. For almost nine years The MPSC Manipur was located in the Old Secretariat Building Complex. It was only in January 1981, MPSC Manipur shifted to North A.O.C., D.M. Road Near Hotel.
The Composition of MPSC Manipur
The Function of Manipur Public Service Commission (MPSC Manipur)
All the functions of the MPSC Manipur are laid down under the Article 320 of the Constitution of India. Functions of the State Public Service Commissions are as follows.
- The duties and responsibilities to conduct examinations for appointment to various state-held services are with MPSC Manipur or State Public Service Commission.
- The State Government will consult the State Public Service Commission on the following issues:-
- on all matters relating to methods of recruitment to civil services and civil posts.
- on the principles to be followed while making appointments, promotions and transfers to civil services and posts.
- on all disciplinary matters of a person serving the Government of a state in a civil capacity, including memorials or petitions relating to such matters.
- on any claim by a person, who is serving or has served the Government in a civil capacity that any cost, incurred by him in defending legal proceedings instituted against him in respect of acts done or purporting to have been done in the execution of his duty, shall be paid out of the consolidated fund of the state.
- on any claim for the award of a pension in respect of injuries sustained by a person while serving under the Government in a civil capacity and any question as to the amount of any such award.